The Legal Compliance Specialist works closely with all in-house Counsel, the Contract Administrator, Outside Counsel and the California Department of Insurance (CDI) and is responsible for providing assistance in administering appeals filed with the CDI, preparing and organizing items for the Pure Premium and Regulatory Filings, performing quality assurance reviews, filing copyright and trademarks registrations, completing special projects and being a primary resource for all departments in matters for which the Legal department has involvement.
The Legal Compliance Specialist works under general supervision where work is occasionally reviewed for accuracy and adherence to established procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Manage the administration of appeals before the CDI Administrative Hearing Bureau (AHB) by conducting an initial review of each appeal and making recommendations to the Managing Counsel regarding its handling; working with in-house Counsel, outside Counsel and opposing Counsel; providing feedback regarding draft filings with the AHB; and drafting decision summaries.
Assist with the preparation of the Pure Premium and Regulatory Filings, including reviewing the Regulatory Filing prior to submission to the CDI to ensure quality, accuracy and completeness; reviewing the Plans following the approval of the Regulatory Filing to ensure all approved changes are accurately reflected in the Plans; and assisting the Chief Legal Officer (CLO) with preparing the Pure Premium Rate Filing.
Conduct audits and draft quality assurance reports for submission to the Audit Committee.
Prepare and file copyright registrations and assist Counsel with the preparation and filing of trademark registrations.
Manage the Legal department policy and endorsement forms filings process with the CDI.
Administer subpoenas handled by Legal, including collecting necessary documents and preparing responses
Serve as the primary point of contact with Member Services for questions about policy and endorsement forms, subpoenas, fraud requests and coverage issues.
Ensure Legal Department compliance with the WCIRB Records Retention Plan.
Ensure Legal Department compliance with the WCIRB Procedures Documentation Management Plan, including maintaining the Legal department procedures to ensure accuracy and consistency.
Participate on WCIRB strategic initiative projects.
Provide enterprise-wide training on handling Inquiries, Complaints and Appeals, Subpoenas and other topics as appropriate.
Train non-attorney legal staff as needed.
Prepare material for and assist in managing the Underwriting Working Group.
Conduct research and handle special projects as needed.
Provide back-up for the Contract Administrator and Counsel as needed.
Qualifications Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and related WCIRB technical experience supplemented by courses and seminars in relevant subject matters.
· Preferably two to five years’ experience of WCIRB or related experience.
· A good understanding of WCIRB core business processes and related legislative, regulatory, and company policy requirements.
· Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office.
· Ability to perform a variety of tasks in a fast-paced, high demand environment and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
· Exceptional critical thinking and writing skills.
· Extremely thorough document preparation skills, including formatting, proofreading and editing.
· Excellent attention to detail, follow-through, analysis of collected information and the ability to complete assignments in an expeditious, yet accurate manner.
· The ability to handle and maintain confidential information.
· Ability to read materials to interpret and analyze content to ensure compliance with statutes, regulations, legal precedent and established WCIRB procedures.
· Ability to write or modify text to compose documents such as correspondence, memoranda, forms and templates.
· Must be comfortable presenting issues and recommending resolutions to Counsel.
Job Type: Full-time